How to Install Windows on a Mac
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mac memory and drive space requirements
- You need at least 4 GB of RAM (memory) to run Bootcamp and 8 GB to run a virtual machine
- You need at least 75 GB of free drive space (more may be needed depending on the number and size of Windows applications.
Note: Windows will not run on a flash/USB drive. If you don't have enough free drive space, you will need to either free up space or find a different computer.
Video: How to check your Mac's memory and storage
Where to get the software
- Windows 10 - visit UA's webstore via this link: https://oit.ua.edu/software/windows-10-education/ and click on the Microsoft tab.
- VMware Fusion - visit the same webstore: https://oit.ua.edu/software/windows-10-education/ and click on the VMware tab and select the latest version of Fusion.
- Bootcamp - built into MacOS. Look in Applications, Utilities for the Bootcamp Assistant.
Video: How to download and Install VMware Fusion
Video: How to install Windows with Bootcamp