What is Solidworks
SolidWorks is a solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) computer program that runs on Microsoft Windows. SolidWorks is published by Dassault Systèmes.
According to the publisher, over two million engineers and designers at more than 165,000 companies were using SolidWorks as of 2013.
Supported Operating Systems
- You will need to run the EXE to unzip the installer and you will need to run the installer as an admin or uncheck the Electrical option to avoid the SQL Express error.
- You will need to connect to the campus VPN in order to use the faculty/staff license.
License key for students
The license key for student use is available to UA students via
SOLIDWORKS 2021-2022 Student Key
Note: Student licenses are only valid for 1 year
How to Install (students)
Students should follow the instructions in this PDF to download and install Solidworks.
Select Academic Version 2021-2022.
If you are installing Solidworks on a Mac, here is a PDF with basic instructions to get you started.
Alternate Method for Students to Install Solidworks
In the past, some students have had trouble downloading Solidworks from their website, so we've uploaded the files to Box.
- Download the installation folder via this Box link:https://alabama.box.com/s/f16z4hjeeaicf0rzv991bo8dp4a4vtxj. This is a 8GB file, so depending on your network connection/speed, it might take a while to download. Make sure you have at least 30gb of free space before downloading so you will have room to install it.
- Download the SOLIDWORKS 2021 SP03 - STUDENT folder
- Run the setup.exe file inside the folder
- Follow THESE instructions. The install can take up to 30 minutes.
How to Install (faculty/staff only)
Faculty and staff can email firstname.lastname@example.org and specify your computer name and we can install it remotely if you are on campus.
If you wish to install it yourself, here are download links: