What is Solidworks
SolidWorks is a solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) computer program that runs on Microsoft Windows. SolidWorks is published by Dassault Systèmes.
According to the publisher, over two million engineers and designers at more than 165,000 companies were using SolidWorks as of 2013.
Supported Operating Systems
- You will need to run the EXE to unzip the installer and you will need to run the installer as an admin or uncheck the Electrical option to avoid the SQL Express error.
- You will need to connect to the campus VPN in order to use the faculty/staff license.
License key (STUDENTS)
The license key for student use is available to UA students via
SOLIDWORKS 2021-2022 Student Key
Note: Student licenses are only valid for 1 year
How to Install Solidworks (STUDENTS)
In the past, some students have had trouble downloading Solidworks from their website, so we've uploaded the files to Box.
- Download the installation folder via this link to UA BOX. The ZIP file is ~8GB, so depending on your network connection/speed, it might take a while to download. Make sure you have at least 30GB of free space before downloading so you will have room to extract and install all the files.
- If you have issues downloading, plug an Ethernet cable into your computer instead of using Wi-Fi.
- Follow the instructions in this PDF. The install can take up to an hour.
How to Install (FACULTY/STAFF ONLY)
This version requires you to be on campus, or connected to the VPN if you are off-campus
Faculty and staff can email email@example.com and specify your computer name and we can install it remotely if you are on campus.
If you wish to install it yourself, here are download links:
- Zipped Solidworks install files: via this link to UA BOX Warning - this is a very large file (~8GB)
- Licensing information: via this link to UA BOX