What is Solidworks
SolidWorks is a solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided engineering (CAE) computer program that runs on Microsoft Windows. SolidWorks is published by Dassault Systèmes.
According to the publisher, over two million engineers and designers at more than 165,000 companies were using SolidWorks as of 2013.
Supported Operating Systems
How to Install (faculty/staff only - students see below)
Faculty and staff can email firstname.lastname@example.org and specify your computer name and we can install it remotely if you are on campus.
If you wish to install it yourself, here are download links:
- Zipped Solidworks install files: via this link to UA BOX Warning-this is a very large file (~13gb)
- If you need Solidworks 2020 SP3: Use this link to UA BOX instead.
- Licensing information: via this link to UA BOX
- You will need to run the EXE to unzip the installer and you will need to run the installer as an admin or uncheck the Electrical option to avoid the SQL Express error.
- You will need to connect to the campus VPN in order to use the faculty/staff license.
License key for students
The license key for student use is available to UA students via
this link to UA BOX
Note: Student licenses are only valid for 1 year
How to Install (students)
Students should follow the instructions in this PDF to download and install Solidworks.
However, change the version to 2020 instead of 2019.
If you are installing Solidworks on a Mac, here is a PDF with basic instructions to get you started.
Alternate Method for Students to Install Solidworks
Some students have trouble downloading the installation package from the Solidworks website. We have created an installation package and saved it on Box.
- Download the installation package via this Box link:https://alabama.box.com/s/0ic6f10rnm21p1hsmshex64ucsc8v7p7
- Unzip the package
- Run the startwinstall.exe file
- You will see a black dialog box while it installs. Do not close or exit out of this. The install can take up to 30 minutes.