Working Remotely FAQs
Remote Desktop Access
Faculty, staff, and students can access their office PCs remotely if
- they connect to campus via the Campus VPN
- remote access is enabled on their computer
- their user account has remote access authority
The way you remote into your PC is to
- Click Start and type MSTSC on your home PC and run the Remote Desktop Application
- Enter your PC name plus domain. Example: mypc.ua-net.ua.edu
- Enter your domain qualified username. Example: ua-net\mybamauserid
- Enter your myBama password
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help setting this up.
Remote IT Assistance
COE IT staff can assist you remotely if necessary. To request assistance
- Go to https://remote.ua.edu
- Click on COE IT under Representatives
- Follow the on-screen instruction and run the downloaded file.
- A COE technician will connect to your desktop and assist
Note: Unless it an emergency, please email email@example.com to schedule a help session.
Campus VPN access is granted to
- All active faculty and staff
- All students enrolled in a class designated VPN-enabled
Other students, non-active faculty/staff, and 3rd parties need to request via their department. For more information, see our VPN page.
Zoom video conferencing is now available to students, faculty and staff at UA. Zoom provides cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging creating a complete conference room solution. Zoom accounts are available to students, faculty and staff; however, only those hosting or scheduling meetings are required to have a Zoom account. Attendees can participate in meetings without Zoom accounts.
Note: COE IT cannot create Zoom accounts. Each user must go to https://oit.ua.edu/software/zoom/ and fill out the user account request form.
Zoom Meeting Tips for Online Classes
In order to reduce the possibility of class disruptions, the following Zoom options are recommended. Each option is a link to instructions on how to do it.
- Activate the waiting room option so each student joining the meeting will need admission. It is recommended that you start the meeting a few minutes early to account for this slight delay.
- Disable student mics and cameras. Students can ask questions via chat.
- Limit chat to Host Only. Instructors can repeat the questions received and answer them.
- Prevent students from changing their name after they join the meeting
- Disable file transfer, annotation, and screen sharing for attendees.
- Record all classes and post on Blackboard.
- Remind all students to update their Zoom client.
- Need TAs to get Zoom Pro accounts? Visit the Zoom#How_to_get_Zoom_Pro_for_TAs page.
Tools & Tips from UA OIT
OIT has provided a couple of sites for remote tool and tips:
- Remote Work Tools (VPN, Remote Desktop, Video Conferencing, Cloud Storage)
- Resources for Academic Continuity: Teaching Remotely
If you need a webcam or headset, here are a couple of recommendations: